Image via Shutterstock
What is Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)?
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD), also known as Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), is a chronic nerve disorder in which intense burning pain, stiffness, swelling, and discoloration is experienced in an extremity such as the hand, arm, leg, or foot.
Symptoms of the condition most commonly arise following injury or surgery. Pain is typically the first sign of RSD/CRPS, and is often more severe than expected.
There are two types of RSD/CRPS:
- Type 1 occurs after an illness or injury that did not directly damage a nerve in the affected area.
- Type 2 follows a distinct nerve injury.
Although the triggers vary, both types of RSD/CRPS have the same symptoms and go through the same three stages of disease: Acute, Dystrophic and Atrophic.
Signs and symptoms of RSD/CRPS can include:
- Continuous burning or throbbing pain, usually in your arm, leg, hand or foot
- Sensitivity to touch or cold
- Swelling of the painful area
- Changes in skin temperature — at times your skin may be sweaty; at other times it may be cold
- Changes in skin color, which can range from white and mottled to red or blue
- Changes in skin texture, which may become tender, thin or shiny in the affected area
- Changes in hair and nail growth
- Joint stiffness, swelling and damage
- Muscle spasms, weakness and loss (atrophy)
- Decreased ability to move the affected body part
Symptoms may change over time and vary from person to person. In some people, signs of the condition can go away on their own. However others may experience symptoms that persist for months or even years.
Treatment is likely to be most effective when started early in the course of the illness.
Do You Have a RSD/CRPS Lawsuit?
After the body suffers a traumatic injury, this debilitating condition can have a serious impact on quality of life.
If you have been diagnosed with RSD/CRPS, you may have a claim if the condition was caused by:
- An injury, such as in a car accident
- An unnecessary surgery
- An injection given in the wrong place
- An IV infiltration that went unnoticed
If you or someone you know is living with this condition, we may be able to help. Our experienced attorneys understand that this chronic condition is painful, permanent and expensive. We can help recover financial compensation for those who suffer from the chronic pain of RSD/CRPS due to others’ negligence. Contact our office today for a free consultation.