Mass Tort Lawyers Serving Victims Nationwide
No Fee Unless We Win
A tort is a civil offense committed by a person or company that results in physical, emotional, financial, or property damages. The party that commits the tort can be held legally responsible for the injuries they have caused through their negligence.
A mass tort is when the offense of the negligent party injures many victims.
The national mass tort lawyers at Farris, Riley & Pitt, LLP have over 20 years of experience successfully representing claimants and have recovered multimillion-dollar settlements for innocent victims who have been injured by the wrongdoing of another party.
Trust in our ability to deliver personalized attention and to thoroughly investigate your claim so that we can deliver the strongest case possible.
If you believe you have a claim that needs to be filed as part of a mass tort, do NOT hesitate to contact us immediately at (205) 324-1212.
Mass Torts Farris, Riley & Pitt, LLP is Investigating
There are a number of defective medical products and medications that the national mass tort lawyers at Farris, Riley & Pitt, LLP are keeping an eye on. These include the following products:
- Hernia Mesh Products – Manufacturers of hernia mesh products are using polypropylene, a material that can deteriorate within the body and lead to serious health complications that require surgery and hospitalization. Hernia mesh products that are being investigated or are facing lawsuits include:
- Valsartan – In July of 2018, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) first alerted doctors and patients about impurities in high blood pressure medications containing the ingredient Valsartan. A certain chemical within Valsartan is a known carcinogen and users have developed health issues that include tumors, cancer, and liver disease. The FDA has an updated list of Valsartan products that have been recalled.
- IVC Filters – The U.S. Food and Drug Administration reported several years ago that they had received more than 900 reports of adverse effects caused by IVC filters including punctured veins, organs, fractured devices, chronic health issues, and life-threatening medical emergencies. Attorneys have argued that manufacturers hid the results of their research that indicated the devices could potentially harm patients.
- Xarelto – Thousands of lawsuits have been filed against Xarelto manufacturers, Bayer Healthcare and Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., alleging that the anticoagulant drug greatly increases the risk of fatal internal bleeding. Plaintiffs are arguing that the blood-thinning effects cannot be reversed by Vitamin K, unlike the gold standard blood thinner, warfarin. As there is no effective way to stop the internal bleeding, in the event of an emergency, a Xarelto user can face serious or fatal hemorrhaging.
- Invokana – Invokana and related drugs are SGLT2 (sodium-glucose cotransporter 2) inhibitors and are used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes. In May 2017, the FDA issued a warning that “interim safety results from ongoing clinical trials found an increase in leg and foot amputations, [but] mostly affecting the toes.” Alongside an increased risk of foot or leg amputation, Invokana has also been associated with other serious side effects such as kidney failure, stroke, heart failure, and coma.
- Onglyza – In 2015, the FDA reviewed data from the SAVOR study which found that of 16,000 subjects, over 1,200 reported a major cardiovascular event. The FDA has since required Ongylyza maker, AstraZeneca, to place a warning label on the product to warn users and doctors about the increased risk of heart failure. The medication has been shown to increase the risk of catastrophic cardiovascular events which can lead to fatal complications.
About Mass Tort Claims
Mass tort claims can involve hundreds or even thousands of parties who have been injured in the same manner by the same negligent party.
Mass tort claims typically involve consumer products such as prescription medications, medical devices, automobile parts, home products and dangerous toys.
If you have suffered an injury as a result of using any of the following medical devices or medications, please contact Farris, Riley & Pitt, LLP immediately to see if you have a case:
- Hernia Mesh Products
- IVC Filter
The national mass tort lawyers at Farris, Riley & Pitt, LLP are committed to helping innocent victims injured by dangerous medications and defective products obtain the justice they deserve.
Contact us today at (205) 324-1212 for a FREE, no obligation consultation.
About Multidistrict Litigation
A multidistrict litigation (MDL) is a special civil procedure that occurs when a complex legal issue begins to affect a large number of people. In the cases of IVC filters, for instance, thousands of claims have been made against the creators of these individual products.
In order to better manage the multitude of cases that occur all around the country, the federal court system will transfer all of them into a single district court. One court will manage all the discovery and pretrial processes for the lawsuits.
As the MDL process continues, certain suits are chosen as bellwether cases. These initial cases are used to assess how juries respond to certain evidence and their rulings can affect litigation for the remaining cases. These initial cases are specifically chosen to represent the circumstances of the majority of the other cases.
Do NOT suffer alone. Contact us today for a FREE case evaluation. Trust in Farris, Riley & Pitt, LLP to get you the results you deserve. NO FEE UNLESS WE WIN.
Mass Torts vs. Class Action
Individuals interested in filing a claim against a negligent pharmaceutical company should be aware that a class action lawsuit and mass tort litigation are NOT the same. Some of the key differences include:
- In a class action lawsuit, all plaintiffs are treated as a single case and claim.
- In a class action lawsuit, a single class representative represents all injured parties.
- In a mass tort, plaintiffs are grouped together for litigation reasons, but each party is an individual plaintiff who can obtain recovery apart from the group.
Mass tort claims can be much more complicated than class action lawsuits. That’s why it is important that you seek the legal guidance of an experienced and qualified national mass tort lawyer like those at Farris, Riley & Pitt, LLP. We know how to successfully bring claims involving defective drugs, medical devices, and other products.
If you believe you may have a claim that needs to be filed as part of a mass tort, then do NOT hesitate to contact the dedicated attorneys at Farris, Riley & Pitt, LLP today.
Contact our national mass tort attorneys today at (205) 324-1212 or online for a FREE, no obligation consultation.