Posted on Friday, March 10th, 2023 at 8:52 am
Car wrecks can be stressful and life-changing experiences. The accident’s aftermath can be tough, both emotionally and physically. Unpaid medical bills can pile up, and you may have less money coming in because you can’t go to work.
If the car wreck is not your fault, you can seek compensation for your injuries with the help of a car accident lawyer. There are specific vital steps you should take after a car wreck. A personal injury attorney can investigate your case and fight for your right to get paid.
What You Should Do After A Car Wreck
Below is a list of actions you should take after a car wreck. If you follow these steps, you will be in a good position to work with a car wreck attorney who can help you make steps toward pursuing compensation.
- Safety first – Ensure everyone on the scene is safe from other cars. Pull over to the side of the road. If it is nighttime, use flares to prevent any further accidents. Also, if anyone gets injured, call 911. Then, call the police to get documentation about the accident to determine fault. Make sure you get a copy of the police report.
- Document the scene – Take as many pictures and videos as possible. The right angle can be the difference between proving fault, getting compensation, and working with insurance companies. Also, take pictures of your injuries because those can fade over time. It’s helpful to draw a diagram of the accident scene.
- Speak to Eyewitnesses – Get the contact information for any eyewitnesses to the accident. Also, get contact information for any first responders who arrived at the scene.
- Do Not Admit Fault – You should not talk about anything specific about the accident to the other involved drivers. The insurance company can use your posts against you when you file a claim or a lawsuit. Even if you believe that the accident was your fault, do not admit it. The less you say to the other driver, the better.
- Call Your Insurance Company – Your insurance company will need to know about the car wreck, but you should only give them basic information about what happened. Discussing detailed information with them only after you speak to a lawyer is essential. Giving them specific information about the accident can hurt your chances of future compensation. Remember, insurance companies are in business to make money and will want to pay out as little as possible for your claims.
- Have a spot for your files – Losing necessary paperwork happens to the best of us. But it can be devastating if you are in the middle of a legal battle. So, it is crucial to keep your files in one spot and ensure you do not lose them. Misplacing one key piece of evidence you can’t replace can be the difference between getting compensation and not.
What Should You Continue to Do Weeks After the Car Wreck?
We have already discussed what you should do immediately after a car wreck. There are also some things that you should do throughout the weeks and months after the accident. Some of these include:
- Stay off of Social Media – Although Facebook and Instagram are a daily part of millions of peoples’ lives, many tend to overshare. Anything that you post on these social media apps can go against you in your case. For example, if you are alleging a specific injury and can’t walk and post a picture of you strolling with your significant other, the insurance company can use that to prove you are not injured. The best advice is to avoid being on social media during your claim. If that is not reasonable, be very careful what you post.
- Attend All of Your Follow-up Visits With Your Doctors – If you see many doctors for your injuries, attending any scheduled follow-up visits is essential. By not attending these visits, you are telling the insurance company that these visits are unnecessary, and your injuries were not as bad as you alleged.
Call Farris, Riley & Pitt, LLP To Handle Your Car Wreck Case
At Farris, Riley & Pitt, LLP, we have been helping clients for over 25 years. Our experienced car accident attorneys will review your case, conduct an investigation, and file your claim for you. Let our legal team help you pursue justice for the injuries and losses you have experienced.
Contact us at (205) 324-1212 today to schedule an appointment for an initial case review. Our personal injury lawyers care for our clients and want to help them seek the highest compensation possible.